Skip to content

Posts tagged ‘DIY’

Zippered pouches

What have I been up to lately? Studying, and sewing! More study than sewing, as I’m at the complicated end of my design course now, and it’s eating up all my time. Never one to shy away from distraction and procrastination though, I’ve whipped up some new zippered pouches. I decided to make some for sale after making one for myself and realising how handy it is to contain all those small bits and pieces that usually go astray.

They’re made from 100% cotton & canvas, with a nice shiny metal zipper and a leather zip-pull. The fabric choice is inspired by the colours I soaked up on a couple of little holidays to alpine regions recently (before snow arrived to cover it all up) – greens, blues, browns and greys, I’m loving these muted tones at the moment. I plan to dig into my fabric stash and bring back some more lively prints soon…more to come!

IMG_0960IMG_0995IMG_0944IMG_0987

Advertisements

Stitched Safari – Shiba hybrid

A dear dog-sitting friend of mine recently fell in love with one of her canine guests – a very pretty unconfirmed breed, perhaps a greyhound crossed with a blue cattle-dog. So for my first Stitched Safari project, I decided to adapt the Shiba dog pattern to resemble her furry friend.

I didn’t give much thought to body shape, instead focussing on the colouring. As a result, this little pup looks nothing like her canine companion, but pretty cute regardless. I really enjoyed bringing the character to life, piece by piece…though I’ll be sticking to the instructions next time!

©amandamckittrick_puppy_IMG_0064

Simplicity 1369 skirt pattern

Happy New Year, dear readers! Hope your break was relaxing. I spent quite a bit of time at the sewing machine over the Christmas break, testing out various patterns.

Below is a skirt I made using Simplicity 1369, View ‘E’ with 2.5 inches added to the length. It took me a while to get the sizing right, as usual the pattern size was too big (by a whopping 8cm!), despite making the skirt to the correct measurements, it sat too low and loose. The “ease” allowed for in the finished garment was just too much. It wasn’t difficult to alter, but it did add unwanted time to the whole process.

A couple of “firsts” for me using this pattern – my first ever pockets! The pockets were so easy to add, and cleverly hidden in the design. It was also my first attempt at interlining, which I had initially thought would be a daunting process. The fabric was too sheer, so I basted a light cotton to my pieces, then assembled as normal. It worked out really well, the only down side was the added time in making the skirt. Combined with the alterations, it took twice as long as it should have. But, now I have some new skills under my belt, so future skirts and dresses will be much quicker and easier. I’ll definitely be using this pattern again, but with a smarter fabric choice and the right size!

©amandamckittrick_IMG_9799simplicity_1369