What have I been up to lately? Studying, and sewing! More study than sewing, as I’m at the complicated end of my design course now, and it’s eating up all my time. Never one to shy away from distraction and procrastination though, I’ve whipped up some new zippered pouches. I decided to make some for sale after making one for myself and realising how handy it is to contain all those small bits and pieces that usually go astray.
They’re made from 100% cotton & canvas, with a nice shiny metal zipper and a leather zip-pull. The fabric choice is inspired by the colours I soaked up on a couple of little holidays to alpine regions recently (before snow arrived to cover it all up) – greens, blues, browns and greys, I’m loving these muted tones at the moment. I plan to dig into my fabric stash and bring back some more lively prints soon…more to come!
Absence makes the heart grow fonder, isn’t that what they say? So where have I been? Well, truth be told I haven’t been doing much craft of late. I am studying Graphic Design, and have been spending a lot of time playing catch-up on my assignments after breaking for Christmas. My studies are progressing well, I’m a straight-A student so far!
There have been some notable craft related stories in the Australian media lately, and I have drawn much inspiration from people using their skills to help animals in crisis. When fires recently ravaged our bushland, IFAW (International Fund for Animal Welfare) sent out a request for people to sew koala mittens to cover dressings on their burnt paws. The call-out was a huge success and thousands of mittens were sent from far-flung corners of the globe. Australia’s oldest man at 109 years(!), was also publicised for knitting jumpers to help penguins affected by oils spills. So sweet, and what a talent! Two great causes to help out our lovable little critters.
While I’m on the topic of critters, I want to show off my latest acquisitions. A friend gave me these two books for helping with a design job, and I can’t wait to stitch up some of these adorable animals.
Happy New Year, dear readers! Hope your break was relaxing. I spent quite a bit of time at the sewing machine over the Christmas break, testing out various patterns.
Below is a skirt I made using Simplicity 1369, View ‘E’ with 2.5 inches added to the length. It took me a while to get the sizing right, as usual the pattern size was too big (by a whopping 8cm!), despite making the skirt to the correct measurements, it sat too low and loose. The “ease” allowed for in the finished garment was just too much. It wasn’t difficult to alter, but it did add unwanted time to the whole process.
A couple of “firsts” for me using this pattern – my first ever pockets! The pockets were so easy to add, and cleverly hidden in the design. It was also my first attempt at interlining, which I had initially thought would be a daunting process. The fabric was too sheer, so I basted a light cotton to my pieces, then assembled as normal. It worked out really well, the only down side was the added time in making the skirt. Combined with the alterations, it took twice as long as it should have. But, now I have some new skills under my belt, so future skirts and dresses will be much quicker and easier. I’ll definitely be using this pattern again, but with a smarter fabric choice and the right size!